Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Biopsy last friday

Hi friends & family, my home computer needed repair & upgraded so I put it in the shop on thursday and has been in since then. I just now got it back, so that's why I've been unable to email or update these last few days.
Last friday was my biopsy. I was told this would be a biopsy where I'd be asleep & they would take sufficient samples from my femur bone & surrounding tissue. When I went in friday, the doctor told me I'd be awake the whole time. It was called a 'skinny needle biopsy'. But there was nothing skinny about the straw sized T handled tool he used to drill down thru the top of my thigh into my femur on my right hip area. I could feel the pressure as the tool popped thru my layers of flesh on the way to my bone, yuck. Very painful in the beginning until the 3 numbing shots started to take effect. This was done on the Ct scanner platform so they could keep running me back and forth into the scanner while the big T handle was poking out of me, so the doctor could see inside my hip where he should be aiming.
Anyway, after all that, I was told no results until the following monday. So we went all weekend worrying. On monday, Mark, me and the boys all went to Dr. Browning's office together to hear the news. Well, still no more answers. The biopsy shows some 'lymphicite filtration' in the right trochanter (thats the bone under the hip, top of femur where all my trouble is). It also showed a small blood clot. These things weren't too serious but were of some concern to the doctor.
The main thing he said is there is definately some activity in my trochanter and the biopsy failed to prove wether it is or is not cancer. It's more likely that its not cancer he said, but they want proof.

Dr. Browning, my oncologist, sent me back to my radiation doctor, Mr. Miller for another opinion. So me, Mark & the boys headed across town to meet with him. He was concerned also. He reviewed all the tests, scans and biopsy and agrees with what Dr. Browning had said. They both also spoke with my Orthopedic Doctor, Mr. Moore and have all decided I need an "Open Biopsy."
An open biopsy is what I thought I was getting friday. It will be regular surgery in an operation room under anesthia (spelling?). The Doctor will make a larger incision than he did friday and retrieve larger fragments of my bone, bone marrow & tissue, in and around my trochanter.
I don't really understand how a larger piece is going to make a difference.
Anyway, the nurse called yesterday wanting to schedule surgery for next tuesday. I just told her I'd like to wait and think about it a couple days.
This is all so very frustrating for me and Mark. In the last couple weeks, I've had 2 ct scans, a PET scan (which took 5 hours), an MRI (which took 4 hours), 2 xrays, bloodwork done, urine tests and a biopsy with STILL NO definate ANSWERS??!!!!

The only good news is that my little baby Edan started daycare this week, I have him tues-fri. I was also hired as the new Clerk-Treasurer for the town of Darmstadt this week. They congratulated me after the town board meeting last tuesday evening, that I got the job! It's a job I can do from home. I am trying to help bring in enough income to cover us when Mark gets laid off.
I sure hope my health stays stable so I can keep these jobs.

No comments: